On 7/3/2020 10:50 AM, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> On 7/3/2020 10:41 AM, Cuddle Beam via agora-discussion wrote:
>> What's the Annabel Crisis?
>
> - A person registered under the name Annabel, did not much for a month or
> so, then deregistered.
>
> - ~6 months later, a long-time player (Maud) confessed that e had been
> Annabel.
>
> - It was decided that Annabel's "I deregister" message applied to Maud, so
> Maud hadn't really been a player for those 6 months.
>
> - Unfortunately, e'd been (thought to be) promotor during that time, and
> this was before self-ratification, and there wasn't anything like "a
> document purporting to initiate a decision...[could ratify]".  It just
> amounted to, if e hadn't been promotor, none of those proposals were ever
> distributed or adopted.
>
> - After a lot of discussion about whether the game was unfixable, it was
> fixed by proposal ratifying everything e'd done, and became the case study
> for self-ratification and the "document purporting to be" language.  The
> fix steps included everyone announcing that they "resigned promotor" so
> there was certainty over who might be promotor (because only the promotor
> could distribute the fix).

btw, the relevance to this current case is in R1551 (Ratification):
>     Such a modification cannot
>     add inconsistencies between the gamestate and the rules
and:
>      An internally inconsistent document generally cannot be ratified;

If the Registrar's Report lists a non-person as a player, that's an
"inconsistency".  The document would not self-ratify.  Similarly, reports
that would make that entity an officer, or have em hold currencies that
only persons could hold, ribbons, etc. might not have self-ratified.

If we found out that a person had become a non-person, but we had kept em
in the reports for a while, then none of those reports would have
self-ratified for that whole while (even if we thought they had), and we
could be in that sort of inconsistent state again.

-G.