On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 8:35 AM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 7/26/2021 11:09 PM, Aspen via agora-discussion wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 2:56 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
> > <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> >>

> >> Proto: dating standards
> >>
> >> Amend Rule 478 (Fora) by replacing:
> >>    performed at the time date-stamped on that message
> >> with:
> >>    performed at the earliest credible time date-stamped on that message
> >>
> >> ["earliest" because that's closest to hitting the send key, "credible" to
> >> make it clear that it's a matter of evidence not logic.  In practice, this
> >> means go with the Date: field unless there's evidence that it's not
> >> credible in some way, in which case go with the next earliest - likely the
> >> first forum stamp].
> >>

> > I'd prefer to leave this more open. I do agree that "the time
> > date-stamped on that message" is actively confusing, and should be
> > changed. However, I don't think the right solution is to legislate a
> > standard for something that game custom can (IMO) just do a better
> > chance of handling.
> >
> > Here are a few alternatives that preserve our current way of handling this:
> >
> > "performed at exactly one of the times date-stamped on that message"
> >
> > "performed at exactly one of the times date-stamped on that message;
> > selecting which one is a matter of game custom"
> >
> > The first one may prompt questions from new players, but is perhaps
> > stylistically cleaner. The later one is a nearly verbatim copy of the
> > current rule annotation.
>
> I'm really not keen on this approach.  It doesn't clarify, instead it
> suggests there's an arbitrary menu of options, which is worse than now.  I
> think, fairly strongly, we should suggest in the text of a rule that we're
> actually trying to get close to the time of sending (time the 'send' key
> is hit).
>
> If my options were leaving it as now, and making it "one of the
> timestamps", I'd leave it as now, because the 100% natural reading of the
> current language is that the "date" is the time of send, and it's only due
> to our over-technical knowledge (that it can be forged, potentially) that
> we worry about other readings.

I'm okay with leaving it the way it is too. I just don't like trying
to clarify, because if you clarify meaningfully you're also limiting
the range of possible judicial interpretations, and I don't think
that's a good thing here.

-Aspen