On Thu, 2022-02-10 at 23:54 -0600, Mark Wieland via agora-discussion
wrote:
> I had noticed this particular CFJ was taking longer than the others,
> but you're right that nobody noticed this infraction at the time. As
> Arbitor, I probably should have been paying more attention and
> notified Murphy ahead of time. But disregard for the fact it was late
> at all is the issue here, especially since Murphy tried to award
> emself Blue Glitter wrongly.
>
> CFJ's can meaningfully affect what players want to do, so their
> timely judgement is important. A penalty is deserved as the full week
> was allowed to pass without a judgement or extension, when players
> may have been anticipating the judgement sooner. No one may have
> noticed the crime, but it was committed And I also had to verify it
> was committed to perform my duties correctly. This shouldn't be an
> issue for such a short CFJ. (Though it may have additional extensive
> research I'm not aware of.) I'm enforcing it more strictly to
> hopefully facilitate more efficient gameplay, and at least attention
> to the deadlines.
>
> Anyways I don't for sure know what I'm doing so if someone could
> convince me otherwise, feel free to.

IMO it's proper to point out the violation – if it's deemed
inconsequential, the correct reaction is to reduce the punishment
(possibly to zero), rather than ignoring the violation altogether.

Among other things, missed deadlines being pointed out promptly helps
to reduce the chance that the same deadline gets missed many times in a
row, at which point it does start to become a problem.

--
ais523