On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 12:52 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 2/10/2022 9:23 PM, Aspen via agora-discussion wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:24 PM secretsnail9 via agora-business
> > <agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> >> I point a finger at Murphy for failure to judge CFJ 3940 in a timely
> >> fashion,
> >> in violation of Rule 591.
> >> I note that this offense is minor (about two hours late) and likely
> >> forgivable.
> >> I also note that Murphy attempted to award emself blue glitter for their
> >> judgement,
> >> which failed because of this violation.
> >> (This is how I intend to handle all violations except for extreme
> >> circumstances.
> >> Remember that a judge can file a motion to extend their case by
> >> announcement.)
> >

> > I wish to register my strong personal disapproval for this action. I'm
> > generally opposed to aggressive enforcement of deadlines to begin
> > with. I am all the more opposed to enforcement against tardiness that
> > has already been rectified. If no one noticed at the time, then I do
> > not believe that it makes any sense to impose a penalty after the
> > fact.
>
> I first instinctively agreed with Aspen, but on further reflection I'd
> like to try being strict about rules breaches, including even minor tardiness.
>
> A few times in the past few years, I've come up with an scheme/idea, but
> it depends on officers being on time (getting a proposal adopted before
> the end of the month, posting a tournament update, or something).  The
> officer is late.  I lose my scheme and any time investment.  Overall it's
> less fun for everyone because it was interesting gameplay.  But the
> officer is very sorry.  And I (and we collectively) truly do understand,
> Agora isn't anyone's #1 priority, and I'm late often too.  It happens.  No
> biggie.
>
> But still, I've lost my invested effort due to the breach.  Since our
> current culture treats a finger-point as a "true" rebuke, I'd feel bad for
> pointing or not accepting an officer's informal apology.  So I don't
> penalize them, but I feel annoyed.  As a result, I might get a bit
> passive-aggressive.  Maybe snipe at something e says or vote against eir
> unrelated proposal, whatever.  It's petty and the lateness is truly nbd -
> but the feeling's there for a few days and need to watch myself, or step
> away from the game for a little.  Not fun.  And I'm less likely to try the
> next scheme (which is the point of the game after all).
>
> I would VERY MUCH RATHER just be able to say "no worries, it happens, but
> here's a Blot - that's not a rebuke, that's just a technical
> nearly-automatic penalty the game applies, no one has to feel bad about
> it."  Then we can move on.

I don't think I have an argument against your main point here. My gut
reaction is to disagree with it, but that isn't an argument.

> Any forgiveness can/should be dealt with on the sentencing side - we've
> got mechanisms for forgiveness, reduction in penalties, or just asking for
> a BBG.  And if that's still to onerous, the obvious approach is to change
> the rules - reduce penalties for weekly reports, make the first missed
> officer's duty in a quarter a Warning, or any of a dozen other things.

If we go this route, I think we should ease penalties fairly aggressively.

> Other side effects of our current policy:
>
> - Challenging for new players.  It's written in the rules that fingers are
> to be pointed at breaches, and we even *reward* for doing so.  Then the
> first time a newb points a finger, thinking to pick up a JC (a great way
> for a new player to gain when auctions are out of reach), we say "we don't
> do that around here - goodfaithhonor and all that".  They then need to
> navigate a hidden, against-the-text-of-the-rules social pressure while
> older players are comfortable knowing which fingers they can and can't
> safely point, with the difference being relatively-arbitrary social
> pressure.  Also not fun.

I agree that our current system is objectively terrible in this
regard. I've never been a huge fan of the "rewards for pointing
fingers" thing. I think it sends a message that's out of alignment
with the way that I was hoping we'd approach this. There are ways of
fixing that dissonance, including removing the reward, setting
guidelines for when to point a finger, or penalty easing (even in the
absence of harsher enforcement). I agree something needs to be change,
but there are options for what to change.

> - The economy.  We've taken a general strong stand against pending
> proposals for free, to support the pendant economy.  Following that logic,
> why would we depress/downright destroy the BBG economy?

*continues to think that "it makes the economy work" is a bad reason
to make things more difficult*

-Aspen