On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 9:38 AM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 9:28 AM nix via agora-discussion
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/30/23 17:47, Edward Murphy via agora-business wrote:
> > > I intend to award Employee of the Year to either Janet or snail,
> > > subject to discussion.
> > I'm not convinced this works as an official intent (I'm not even sure if
> > it was meant to be one vs just a statement of what you plan to do). But
> > I also would support giving this to either person. I can make the intent
> > when/if you decide on a particular one.
> >
> > Very hard to choose between the two. Maybe other factors shouldn't
> > count, but since neither has ever won any yearly award, and snail
> > already looks like a lock for the Golden Glove, I'd personally lean
> > towards Janet for this one.
>
> one other note is that (going from Murphy's list) some of snail's
> offices are basically "contestmaster" in that e proposed a subgame e
> wanted to run, and ran it.  Nothing wrong with that (and it's great)
> but it's more like thanking people for running tournaments.  So
> factoring that in, and seeing similar (excellent in both cases) effort
> in the core offices, I'd also lean towards Janet.

I'm also supporting Janet. In addition to the reasoning provided by
nix and G., both of whom I find myself in agreement with, I've been
impressed with eir devotion to understanding the actual state of the
rules. Even if I sometimes disagree with em about which cases succeed
and which fail and about the underlying standards, it is truly
impressive how often e catches potential problems that others have
missed. Without Janet, I doubt we would have noticed how restrictive
our current precedent is on what constitutes an unambiguous rule
change and how often the standard appears not to be met in practice.
This is relatively minor compared to the rationales others have
provided, but it is something I want to note.

-Aspen