On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 11:23 AM nix via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 12/11/23 14:53, 4st nomic via agora-business wrote:
> > Comment: 1. is not restrictive, and permits flipping the activity switch
> > for succeeding.
> > Response: This is not the only longstanding switch available in the rules
> > to be flipped, it's not the intended one, so should we explicitly say
> > "other than the Activity switch"? could we say "Warning: The activity
> > switch has repercussions for flipping, we recommend flipping a different
> > switch, but we won't stop you."?
>
> The activity switch isn't the issue. "Citizenship" is a switch.
> Registering *immediately* flips a switch. I would suggest:
>
> "E has, through game actions e has taken, caused a switch (besides
> Citizenship) to flip."
>
> You could also exclude activity, but that's not necessary IMO.
>

> > Comment: 2. is oddly specific.
> > Response: This is somewhat true, but it is also based on longstanding
> rules
> > that haven't been disrupted. There are also more than one mechanism for
> > fulfilling this requirement that is longstanding, and I expected that
> this
> > level of complexity is to be expected of Agoran players. However, would
> it
> > be better to say create an asset and destroy an asset as separate maze
> > items?
>
> What's the example you're thinking of here? I don't know it off the top
> of my head. I guess I can create and destroy a promise, but it's odd
> behavior that serves no purpose. I don't think we should be encouraging
> people to do meaningless actions.
>
> > Comment: 6 prevents players that have any patent titles from receiving
> this
> > one. Suggestion that only champion patent titles exclude players.
> > Response: Does the language "E has not won the game, and does not have
> this
> > patent title." work better?
>
> Winning awards a specific patent title, Champion. So it can be:
>
> "E does not already have the Rookie or Champion titles prior to awarding
> emself this patent title."
>
> --
> nix

Ok, I see what you mean. Yeah: citizenship should not count, while the
player having identified that it flipped a switch, it doesn't actually
encourage any further game action or participation. And on that vein, I
agree that we should exclude activity as well then.

Similarly, creating and destroying a blot in the same message is a little
"do nothing" thing, which although neat and shows that rules interact,
again, doesn't further encourage any gameplay or interaction. (some other
examples I was thinking of was creating and destroying a blot, or a private
asset).

Your wording for 6 is better.

And finally, I agree that we should just shred regulations altogether to
the extent possible. Altogether, hopefully, since that would simplify the
Rulekeepor's job. Or at the very least, separate it into it's own job,
perhaps tracked by the promulgator. But that's really a different
conversation... for now, we could just workshop this into a rule.

Anyhow, here's a draft rule then (I encourage someone else to submit it
since I'm still on my LIME RIBBON PLS phase.)
{
Title: Tutorial Maze
Adoption Index: 1.0
Co-author: 4st, nix, murphy

Enact the following rule:
{
Each player CAN, with support, award emself the Patent Title "Rookie" if e
satisfies the following conditions:
- E has, through game actions e has taken, caused a switch, other than eir
Citizenship or Activity switches, to flip.
- E has, through game actions e has taken, created an asset.
- E has, through game actions e has taken, destroyed an asset.
- E has submitted a proposal.
- E has voted.
- E does not already have the Rookie or Champion titles prior to awarding
emself this patent title.

While tabling the awarding, e SHOULD cite all conditions e has fulfilled,
to encourage players to support em.

A player SHOULD attempt to figure these out on eir own by asking
questions, research, and the like, and SHOULD NOT look at the sources cited
of other players' attempts or awards until e has figured it out emself, as
looking is its own punishment. This rule SHOULD help new players understand
the rules better, and SHOULD NOT result in a ridiculously easy patent title.

New players are ENCOURAGED to propose additional conditions after earning
their patent title.
}
}

--