status: https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/#3831
(This document is informational only and contains no game actions).

===============================  CFJ 3831  ===============================

      Murphy published a valid Notice of Honour today.

Caller:                        Aris

Judge:                         Alexis
Judgement:                     FALSE

History:

Called by Aris:                                   25 Apr 2020 06:35:08
Assigned to Alexis:                               25 Apr 2020 20:05:03
Judged FALSE by Alexis:                           26 Apr 2020 18:41:54
Motion to reconsider self-filed:                  26 Apr 2020 18:41:54
Judged FALSE by Alexis:                           26 Apr 2020 18:41:54

Caller's Evidence:

On 25 Apr 2020 02:46:37 GMT Edward Murphy wrote in agora-business:
> This is a Notice of Honour:
> -1 kudo: ATMunn, randomly chosen zombie
> +1 kudo: PSS, testing the finger-pointing rules in an interesting way

Caller's Arguments:

In eir purported Notice, Murphy referenced kudos. Kudos are currently
undefined. It is unclear whether the Notice specifies players who are to
gain and lose honor, as required by Rule 2510, or instead specifies
players who are to gain and lose kudos. I think it's probably clear
enough, but that's ambiguous.

Judge Alexis's Arguments:

The requirement in Rule 2150 is, as Aris claims, to publish a notice
announcing which player gains and loses karma. The karma system is similar
to an earlier system which used kudos, and an even earlier one which used
props, so there is clearly some similarity there.

As two hypotheticals, we can consider whether Muphy's notice would have
worked if e had specified a) some rule-defined asset/switch or b) a word
that doesn't have Agoran connotations at all.

If Murphy's notice had specified ±1 coin, then it clearly would fail. The
notice would be specifying who gains and loses coins, something quite
well-defined, rather than karma.

If it had instead specified ±1 XP, then I think it would also fail. It is
not clear, in the context of the current Agoran rules, what "XP" is (and
to my knowledge, it has never been defined in a way that would make it
make any sense here; if that is not the case, for the sake of this
judgment, assume that it is). But it seems to me that it would be
unreasonable to interpret "XP" as "karma" in this context.

So the only way that Murphy's notice could succeed would be if "kudo"'s
history in some way privileged it to operate as a substitute for karma.
This might be possible if there had been a custom regarding it, or if the
use of kudos was recent history. But neither of these is the case, and the
modern playerbase cannot be expected to know the full details of Agora's
history. So I rule that this is FALSE as the notice does not clearly
specify that it is manipulating karma.