> On Jul 20, 2026, at 12:21 PM, msh210 via agora-business 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> I just wrote, to agora-business:
>> ais523 wrote, in part:
>>>> I call for judgement on the following statements:
>>>> 
>>>> "There is exactly one CFJ with the ID number 4150."
>>>> "There is a CFJ with the ID number 4155."
>>>> 
>>>> I submit these CFJs to the Referee, as this is somewhat urgent (it
>>>> determines how the judgements of these CFJs should be scored) and
>>>> the Referee is currently much more active than the Arbitor.
>>>> 
>>>> I submit the following arguments:
>>>> ===
>>>> The issue at hand here is that, while Rule 991 allows for the
>>>> Arbitor to assign ID numbers to CFJs, it does not place any sort of
>>>> restriction on what these ID numbers are, nor does any other rule.
>>>> ID numbers for RULES are explicitly required to be unique, but the
>>>> same is never applied to CFJs. The rule also explicitly prevents
>>>> the Arbitor from assigning a new ID number to a CFJ that already
>>>> has one.
>>>> 
>>>> In this case, I mistakenly assigned a CFJ an ID number that was
>>>> already in use. Upon discovering the error, I attempted to assign
>>>> an unused ID number instead. Rule 991 is clear that my second
>>>> attempt succeeded only if my first attempt failed. Unfortunately,
>>>> while it would be extremely inconvenient for everyone if my first
>>>> attempt succeeded and we had two CFJ 4150s, I can't find any
>>>> textual support for that in the rules.
>>>> ===
>> <snip>
>>> Gratuitous arguments: rule 2713 does place a restriction on the
>>> number required (it has to be "in sequence" within reasonable
>>> definitions), but it's a SHALL-type restriction so it doesn't prevent
>>> assignment of a duplicate number working.
>> <snip>
>>> I assign the CFJ with statement "There is exactly one CFJ with the ID
>>> number 4150." the ID number 4158 (due to the ambiguity with numbers
>>> 4150-4157 inclusive) and assign it to msh210.
>>> 
>>> I assign the CFJ with statement "There is a CFJ with the ID number
>>> 4155." the ID number 4159 and assign it to msh210.
>> 
>> "ID" (R991) has a common-sense interpretation of "something that can be
>> used to identify" and thus of uniqueness.  For example, English
>> Wikipedia's "ID" page, https://en.wikipedia.org/?oldid=1361509704 ,
>> gives "a symbol which uniquely identifies an object or record" as its
>> explanation for "ID".
>> 
>> This common-sense interpretation would seem to be in conflict with
>> R2713's "officers may choose whether to include or exclude in the
>> numbering sequence [of ID numbers] entities whose proposal or CFJ
>> status is disputed or unclear" which by effect allows for potential
>> duplication.
>> 
>> Per R1030, the higher-powered rule takes precedence in a conflict
>> between rules. R1030 does not say this is only a conflict between
>> explicit aspects of rules. In the present case, we have a *common-
>> sense interpretation* of R991 (power 2) conflicting with an *effect* of
>> R2713 (power 1).
>> 
>> I assign the judgement TRUE to CFJ 4158, "There is exactly one CFJ with
>> the ID number 4150.".
>> 
>> I assign the judgement FALSE to CFJ 4159, "There is a CFJ with the ID
>> number 4155.".
>> 
>> Yours very truly,
>> 
>> msh210
> 
> Sorry!!  I got the logic backward.  I meant for CFJs 4158 and 4159 to
> be judged TRUE.  I don't know whether the above message went through
> to agora-business list.  If so, I self-file a motion to reconsider CFJ
> 4159, and recommend it be judged TRUE.  If it did not go through, I
> assign the judgement TRUE both to CFJ 4158 and to CFJ 4159.
> 
> Yours,
> msh210

I temporarily deputize for the Arbitor to assign CFJ 4159 to msh210 (again).

- Galle, Champion and Speaker

Reply via email to