Good Day,

 

Here are some points on the hole effect variogram model in GSLIB.

 

o. The cosine hole effect applied in GSLIB is only positive definite (permissible) in ID.  Therefore it is required that the ranges in all other directions be set as very large – this results in zonal anisotropy in the other directions.

 

o. The sum or product of positive definite models is positive definite.  The dampened hole effect variogram model is the product of the hole effect and exponential covariance models.  There is flexibility in the choice of the dampening range,’d’.  The assignment of ‘d’ based on the range in the GSLIB code may have been in an effort to avoid the addition of another parameter, which would have required a fair bit of coding.

 

o. The range is the distance to the first peak in the hole effect variogram model.  Dampening will attenuate the amplitude (with respect to lag distance) but will not affect the wave length.

 

I have written a paper on the hole effect.  If you are interested contact me at the address below.

 

Hope this helps,

 

Michael

_____________________________________________
Michael Pyrcz

Ph.D. Candidate

Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Alberta
(780) 492-3153
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.ualberta.ca/~mpyrcz

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On

Behalf Of Noemi Barabas

Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 7:55 PM

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: AI-GEOSTATS: hole effect modeling in 3D

 

 

Dear list members,

 

I hope to get some insight into modeling and kriging with 3-D variograms where all 3 directions display a pronounced hole-effect/oscillations. (I am using GSLIB)

 

First of all, are there any permissibility issues regarding a hole effect model?  I am thinking in particular of the dampening factor, which is an additional parameter that is not accounted for in the kriging parameter files.  I know that kt3d has a built-in relationship of d to the range, and I wonder if that is just for simplification or because of permissibility contraints.

 

Second, what does the range mean for a hole effect model in terms of the maximum distance between the estimation location and a contributing data location.  Does the dampening affect this distance in kt3d and would there be permissibility issues if I were to modify the program?

 

Third, what if the dampening parameter is different in all 3 directins?

 

And finally, my grid will be discretized such that in one direction I will only estimate at three different distances, and I assume that the semivariogram model needs a good fit only at those lags.  Is this a workable assumption?

 

 

I much appreciate any insights into these questions!!

 

Noemi

 

        Noemi Barabas

 

PhD Candidate

The University of Michigan

Dept. Civil and Environmental Engineering

1351 Beal Avenue (13 EWRE)

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2125

Phone: (734) 615-5905

 

Reply via email to