Usually when I've seen a "wavy" semivariogram, it's because of a local
feature superimposed over an existing field function - for instance, a
release of mercury in a field  of soil with very low "natural" mercury
content. The period of the waviness is related to the distance across
the feature (the width of the spill, in this case).  Of course, this is
nothing particularly earth-shattering, but useful none the less.

I've used semivariograms like this in the past to "guestimate" the
approximate size of a plume based on sparse data.  Not all geostatistics
ends up in gridding and estimating at every point!  Sometimes just
looking at the semivariogram is very useful.   

Tim Glover
Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry 
Geoenvironmental Department
MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
Office 770-421-3310
Fax 770-421-3486
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Web www.mactec.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajive Ganguli [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 4:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ai-geostats] variogram analysis

My question is general.  What do you conclude if your variogram is
wavy? Cyclic patterns?  I have what appears to be high nugget,
followed by a wavy pattern.

If you wish, here is more info: an offshore placer platinum deposit,
not too many boreholes - just 29 from decades ago spanning several
square kilometers.  The variogram (from GEOEAS) of the grade (ln) is
given in:

http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffrg/Variogram.zip

The variogram is cyclic. Goes up and down.  I tried various
lags/directions.  

I will try to dig up the geological information and see what it says.
-- 
Rajive


* By using the ai-geostats mailing list you agree to follow its rules 
( see http://www.ai-geostats.org/help_ai-geostats.htm )

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the 
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats

Reply via email to