Rajive

I haven't read the other responses yet, so this may be
redundant.

Two possibilities:

(1) anisotropy: if this is shallow marine data there
should be a difference between longshore drift and
off-shore deepening of sea-bed. You have an
omni-directional semi-variogram. It is possible that
the sampling grid is irregular enough to be
highlighting directional differences??

(2) mega-ripples: I have seen similar behaviour in
off-shore marine diamonds which tend to hug the bottom
of trenches or ripples. Major ocean beds have
mega-ripples on the kilometre scale, which is what you
are seeing here.

More worrying, I would say, is the fact that your
graph is dropping with distance. This suggests that
you also have some underlying trend (non-stationarity)
which is causing closely spaced samples to be 'more
different' than those further apart.

I notice you are using a log transform. What does your
probability plot look like?

Isobel

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats