Hi Isobel

I didn't know the existence of the two schools of thought! So thanks for the clarification.

The point is the I interpret smoothing (filtering) properties of kriging by means of the dual representation of kriging interpolator given for example in Goovaerts's book "Geostatistics for natural resources evaluation". According to this representation an estimate is equal to the mean plus a linear combination of covariance terms (nugget effect included). Clearly according to this representation if you want to filter out nugget effect, making your interpolator no more exact, you need to filter out the nugget explicitly.

Then, I'm wondering if in presence of really short range components of spatial continuity (compared to
the overall range of spatial continuity)  It could be better to use a block
kriging (with a block size equal to range of the short range components) in order to get more spatially homogeneous maps from the point of view of smoothing (above all with high clustered and low density data sampling geometry).

Sebastiano