Hey there,

     We current run a spring-batch+spring-integration solution to do batch
processing in large scale through remote-chunking technique which makes
communication using request and replies queues. We're currently studying
akka and scala and we saw a few implementation ideas from box
(http://www.slideshare.net/vignesh41/silicon-valley-code-camp-2012) and
also Akka Essentials Indian Blog
(http://www.akkaessentials.in/2012/03/implementing-master-slave-grid.html)
and came up with the following:

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hhDgjeGfeoU/U888y3hS9aI/AAAAAAAAbuw/ayX9L9Dt2KE/s1600/Master-Slave-Proposal+-+New+Page.jpeg>

My questions at the moment are:

   - Should I have a JobSupervisorActor after the scheduler one? So after a
   schedule message a supervisor takes place and awakes a predef number of
   workers for a job. Wouldn't that be a spof?
   - The jobDone notification should be handled as a msg to another bunch
   os NotificationActors since it can vary as SMS/e-mail/AppPush?
   - If the slave call to a server is io-blocking that means that cpu is
   free to another actor to take place? My concern is that today we use a lot
   of two/four cores to house a bunch of slaves, so what's the best spec to
   hold hundreds of actors doing ws blocking calls?

I guess more questions related to design, logging and things like that will
come while we develop that, but that's a good place to start.

Thanks for the patience guys,

D.