It really depends on the market you're in. Some markets (first I can think
of are betting/gambling/banking) are very much against change. If you work
in that sector you have two choices: 1) you resign and you go work with
your friends in a startup working 24/7 but with the freedom to choose the
tools you like (my choice) or 2) you fight to start adopting the technology
and process you like in some non-core-business minor project. You have to
prove on the field why your choice is better, and you can use the
opportunity to learn at the same time. The more experienced you are, the
more you know that you only know pros and cons of technologies after having
used them in real -albeit small- production environments.

I think the same applies to big companies (in general) that have "old
school" operations departments. They cannot fire the "websphere certified
experts" out of the blue.

If you work in a more open minded company, you could do a POC yourself. I
setup a cluster with ansible, docker, consul, a 3-node elasticsearch
cluster,  akka/scala standalone apps and redis (all of them containerised)
in a couple of days. If you show that you can type "vagrant up" and
seamlessly create and provision N VMs with your clustered app and maybe
show how easy it is to upgrade the cluster by simply typing "sbt
docker:publish" and "ansible-playbook .... playbook.yml" they could be
impressed.

It doesn't take more than a couple of hours a day for 1 or 2 weeks
(depending on your experience) to build something like that to show off.
The management is always more impressed by devops than code stuff, imho.

*Build something, show 'em!*

Cheers