On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Simon Schäfer <m...@antoras.de> wrote:

> On 11/12/2015 06:57 PM, Endre Varga wrote:
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> This documentation section explains this in more detail:
> http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-stream-and-http-experimental/2.0-M1/scala/stream-rate.html
>
> Ok, I didn't come to that point of the documentation so far. I'm going to
> have a look, thanks!
>

> Btw, Sink.head actually does not request more than one, however this is
> not transitive and cannot be. Grouped cannot possibly know how many
> elements a downstream ever needs, so it tries to prefetch and exploit
> concurrency.
>
> Why not? Doesn't it have to wait for a demand as all other components have
> to do too? I mean Sink.head has a demand of 1, shouldn't grouped get this
> demand and then forward a demand of 1*N, where N is the argument to grouped?

No, demand is not forwarded, that does not work in general, especially in
the face of graph enabled stages (how would merge work?). Demand is
strictly local to a connection. If grouped gets a demand of 1, then it
knows that it can only emit one, but that does not dictate how much it
tries to get from upstream. What if the sink is not a Sink.head but a
network transport that signals demand one-by-one once the bytes are written
to the network? In this case grouped would better off aggregating elements
in the background. Just because a stage demanded 1, it does not mean it
will not demand later more.

-Endre