I wondered how hard could it be to write akka-remote transport using
akka.io only.
It turned out that it is not that hard to start:

https://github.com/marekzebrowski/akka-remote-io

roughly ~ 200 lines for proof of concept tcp implementation

probably I'm doing something wrong as simple test case, included in
repository randomly loses messages in Echo client-server scenario - example:
Echo actor replies to :
Replying with message 1 0
Replying with message 2 1
Replying with message 3 2
Replying with message 4 3
Replying with message 7 4
Replying with message 8 5
Replying with message 9 6
Replying with message 10 7

Some messages are lost... But in principle it seems that akka.io based
implementation might be much shorter than netty.