On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:16:57 PM UTC-7, Guido Medina wrote:

> By induction you can conclude that messages order is guaranteed when
> sending sequentially (in the same thread) by using the following assertions:
>
>    - Messages sent to any local actor go immediately to their destination
>    inbox hence order is preserved because of sequential execution - JMM rule.
>    - Messages that go from node A to node B will be sent in the same
>    order as they arrive to node A remote dispatcher's inbox which for an
> actor
>    hosted at node A, the order of arrival is preserved (apply previous rule)
>    - Messages that arrive to node B will be put in the remote dispatcher
>    inbox in the same order they arrived, apply first two rules and you that
>    concludes in the messaging ordering rule - as for remote, current remote
>    implementation when sending from node A to B, it can only send
>    synchronously hence, order is also preserved.
>
> The most complicated rule is the last one, but once order from node A to
> node B is preserved then you can conclude that order messages from actor A
> to actor B is also preserved regardless of their location.
> This is my explanation with my own words, the documentation I think
> explains it using the Java Memory Model as a reflection.
>
> HTH,
>
> Guido.

Can't the data that makes up 2 messages arrive out of order when sent over
a network? So, node A might send them in the order it received them, but
the order in which the node received the messages could be different from
what was sent to node A.

The cited documentation says:

It is important to note that Akka’s guarantee applies to the order in which
> messages are enqueued into the recipient’s mailbox.

Does that refer to the order in which messages are sent by Akka instead of
enqueued for the receiver?