Dear hakkers,

We are proud to announce the first Release Candidate of the Akka HTTP's
"fully stable" release–the only missing, bit was the Routing DSLs, which we
now deem stable enough to support for an extended period of time.

This release marks the first of the 3.0.0 series of this project and
signifies a large step in terms of confidence in the library, as well as
the move of Akka HTTP into its own repository. From now on Akka HTTP will
be versioned separately from Akka “core”. This has been discussed at large
with the community on akka-meta <http://github.com/akka/akka-meta>, and the
akka-http <https://github.com/akka/akka-http/> repositories on github.
Thank you very much for your input!

For more background why this move, please read “Akka HTTP - stable, growing
and tons of opportunity <https://github.com/akka/akka-meta/issues/27>” on
akka-meta. While preparing In the meantime we have delivered a
Proof-of-Concept of HTTP/2 for Akka HTTP and plan to continue this work
later this year–community help is very much welcome on this front as well.

The documentation from now on will be available here:

Some noteworthy changes in the *3.0.0-RC1* (since it's move out from
2.4.11) release are:

   -

   New lightbend/paradox powered documentation
   -

      This will allow us to aggregate it together with Akka and other
      documentation, as well as link more easily to ScalaDoc pages
      -

      Akka HTTP documentation will from now on live here:
      http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-http/current/index.html
      -

      We’ll work on a better theme for it very soon.
      -

   Multipart is now correctly Binary MediaType (instead of WithOpenCharset)
   #398 <https://github.com/akka/akka-http/pull/398>
   -

   A new designated mailing-list and page for any critical security issues
   that might come up has been created:
   http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-http/current/security.html
   -

      Please follow the linked mailing list if you have production Akka
      systems, so you’ll be the first to know in case a security issue is found
      and fixed in Akka.

The plan regarding releasing a stable 3.0.0 is to wait a little bit for
community feedback on the release candidates, and call a stable one no
longer than a few weeks from now. We’re eagerly awaiting your feedback and
can’t wait to ship the stable version of all of Akka HTTP’s modules!

Credits

A total 15 issues were closed since 2.4.11, most of the work was moving
source code, documentation and issues to their new places.

The complete list of closed issues can be found on the 3.0.0-RC1
<https://github.com/akka/akka-http/milestone/1?closed=1> milestone on
github.

For this release we had the help of 14 committers – thank you!

A special thanks to Jonas Fonseca <https://github.com/jonas> who did a
tremendously awesome job at migrating all the docs from sphinx
(restructuredtext) to paradox (markdown), contributing features that the
Akka docs needed to upstream Paradox–thanks a lot!

Credits:

commits added removed

  10   22489   24696 Jonas Fonseca

  10    1927     256 Johannes Rudolph