Even if you use loopback (127.0.0.1) for the two actor systems to
communicate, communication is done through remoting, with messages being
serialized etc. just like if they were on "real remote hosts".

If you want to do it to get real world latencies/throughputs like with
separate physical nodes communicating over a physical network then internal
networking between virtual machines will likely not give you identical
behaviour.

--
Johan
Akka Team