I'm using protobuf serialization for my application messages and as recommended in the docs I also have "allow-java-serialization = false":

https://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.5/serialization.html#enable-additional-bindings

"A few types in Akka are, for backwards-compatibility reasons, still serialized by using Java serializer by default. You can switch them to using protocol buffers instead by adding the following bindings or set akka.actor.allow-java-serialization=off, which will make them serialized using protocol buffers instead."

However if I do the following to get a remote ActorRef:

----------
val remote: ActorSelection ...
:
remote ! Identify

I get the following fatal failure:

[WARN] [SECURITY][02/21/2018 15:44:45.815] [RITA-akka.remote.default-remote-dispatcher-8] [DisabledJavaSerializer(akka://RITA)] Outgoing message attempted to use Java Serialization even though `akka.actor.allow-java-serialization = off` was set! Message type was: [class akka.actor.ActorSelection$$anon$1] [ERROR] [02/21/2018 15:44:45.818] [RITA-akka.remote.default-remote-dispatcher-8] [Encoder(akka://RITA)] Failed to serialize message [akka.actor.Identify]. (akka.serialization.DisabledJavaSerializer$JavaSerializationException: Attempted to serialize message using Java serialization while `akka.actor.allow-java-serialization` was disabled. Check WARNING logs for more details.)

I'm clearly missing something obvious because what is documented simply isn't working for me, but I can't figure out what.

Thanks,

--
Alan Burlison

     Read the docs: http://akka.io/docs/