Don't know what kind of broadcasting is done in Australia, but here in the states there isn't much that I'd turn on the radio for--no matter how good the radio be.

Being a radeo ham, I have a Kenwood TS-590S. The receiver on this one tunes continuous from the "long wave" bandup through 54 (or so) megahertz; very nicely covering the US broadcast band. With external amplification, this one can have pretty good sound. Not to take anything away from the CC radios or even the super radios; there has to be something out there that one desires to hear; or what good is it?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: <all-audio@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: [all-audio] CC EP Pro Radio continued

Shame you feel that way as there’s plenty to recommend a radio such as this if you’re thinking from a content perspective. Actually one could argue that its probably better to be able to listen to long-distance radio given the rubbish some local city stations broadcast and then you’ll never know unless you try receiving these stations so therefore you’ll need something good to receive them on in the first place. So enter the CC EP Pro as a very good starting point for a most reasonable price. There aren’t too many radios that come near the CC EP Pro as far as performance these days and I’ve had my view confirmed when scanning about the band and listening to the set earlier this morning. Yes, you can go for all those vintage sets if you like as I myself have done but its really not worth the bother doing that unless you know someone in the repairs business. Let’s take the classic GE Super Radio version II, I got one in 1990 and I gave it away. Now suppose I was offered one of those sets today the question then arises, should I buy or should I settle for something else like a CC EP Pro? To me the answer is obvious, forget about the GE Super Radio and take the CC EP Pro. The GE Super Radio would most likely require an alignment and finding someone to do that may take some time. The CC EP Pro is as good as - if not a little better in some ways - as the GE Super radio was. The CC EP Pro is far quieter whereas the GE Super Radio was quite noisy in comparison. The CC EP Pro in my view has a definite performance edge when it comes to receiving those distant stations not only for the lack of noise but because of its pinpoint accurate DSP tuning, the CC EP Pro is about as selective a radio you’ll find anywhere. The GE Super radio may sound a little better but the amp isn’t much good and you’re not going to get much volume out of it.
The CC EP Pro lacks a little bottom but does have a smaller speaker.
So yes, whatever your listening habits - local or distant, AM or FM - then the CC EP Pro is certainly worth the look, I can’t remember the exact price of the radio now - I obviously pad to pay quite a bit more to have the unit shipped to Australia -, the price is well under a hundred US dollars.