Couldn’t have put it better myself and this whole thing makes today’s modern
portables even more interesting, whether you’re a HAM or not they’re incredible
devices.
For example many of today’s portables - the CC EP Pro amongst them - will
easily receive FM signals hundreds upon hundreds of miles away from your
current location thanks to the DSP technology common used now.
It wasn’t all that long ago that to get a radio with good selectivity and
sensitivity on FM was near to impossible with a portable but now its common
place.
Then there is the “Ducting” effect you get on FM which brings even more
surprises to your receiver.
Some 33 years ago I remember listening to Radio 4MMM in Brisbane some thousand
miles away from where I was on FM, I just couldn’t believe it and that was back
on one of the older Analogue FM sets but then again - as I’ve since found out -
Panasonic have always has a reputation for making reliable FM receivers.
So to today’s portables which mostly are on a par with each other when it comes
to FM reception, its easy for me to receive MMM in Sheperton, 132 miles away on
95.3MHZ with a strong local station right next door at 95.5MHZ, this sort of
thing was completely unheard of not all that long ago.