Dane,

At least in the market in which we live, that being Minneapolis and St. Paul,
Minnesota, the quality of HD broadcasts is still pretty good.  There has been
some of the quantity over quality move, though.  There are cases where an HD
channel is used to give an AM band talk format to the FM band.  One of our
stations carries four programs on one frequency and none sound that great.  The
bandwidth used for each can be varied, though, so it is possible for a talk
format to be allocated less bandwidth than a music source using the same FM
frequency.  To my knowledge, one can only carry one HD program on an AM signal.
 We had two HD AM stations here for some time but right now we do not have any.
 The way AM HD works, the coverage area is very small, and it takes very little
interference to prevent a radio from locking on to an HD signal.
Interestingly, it is sometimes possible to receive an AM HD signal at night
from some distance away by skip.  It is not uncommon to be able to get two HD
signals here from Chicago, some 400 miles away.  When they lock in they sound
great, but they don't stay locked in for long, as a rule.

There is apparently some limited experimentation with AM signals that are only
HD, that is, with no analog signal.  This let's them use less AM bandwidth and
also put all of the power into the HD signal.  That means, of course, that the
signal is completely unlistenable with an analog AM radio but the HD coverage
area is much larger from what I here.

We are hearing on our news here in the United States that there is quite a heat
wave in Australia.  Is that the case where you are?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson