As someone who deals with podcast production for a living, I can give you some guidance on this.

As you said, Wordpress is often used. Once the theme is configured, you don't need to do too much messing around with it.

A Decent Wordpress-independent solution is Libsyn.

www.libsyn.com

Another option is Buzzsprout.

www.buzzsprout.com

Here's one more, Blubrry.

www.blubrry.com

Although Blubrry seems to be more focused on Wordpress, compared to the other two I mentioned, I like the accessibility.

Example:

www.dayinwashington.com