Hi!
Yes you have to move around with the jaws Cursor or nvda review mode.
You can actually do very much with that dialog box.
You can for example  do recordings from an internet stream or rip a dvd or a cd.
You can convert files from one format to another too.
I have not used that feature as vlc is very unstable on my mac right now.
I use another player called IIna specially made for the mac.
/A