LETTER/ Killing Bears For Fun In Virginia     KINSHIP CIRCLE PRIMARY -
PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST AS WRITTEN

 Kinship Circle posted 2 letter-writing campaigns tonight:

   10/14/07: Stop Deer Slaughter In New Jersey
   10/14/07: Killing Bears For Fun In Virginia

DID YOU GET OUR LAST ALERT?
           10/7/07: Horses Agonize In Mexico As Federal Slaughter Ban Stalls

 If your email provider censored any of our alerts, try to get them again.
 Copy name of alert and email your request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 10/14/07: Killing Bears For Fun In Virginia
 KINSHIP CIRCLE ACTION CAMPAIGN
 http://www.KinshipCircle.org

 SOURCE OF INFORMATION:
 Urge Virginia Governor to Cancel Black Bear Hunt on National Wildlife Refuge
 http://ga0.org/campaign/gdsnwr2/nqye6577x?
 Urge Wildlife Agencies to Cancel Black Bear Hunt on National Wildlife Refuge
 http://ga0.org/campaign/gdsnwr1/nqye6577x?
 Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and Nansemond National Wildlife
 Refuge Final Comprehensive Conservation Plan
 http://www.chesapeake.va.us/services/citizen_info/pdf/GDSNWRfinalCCP8-2-06.pdf

 SAMPLE LETTER & CONTACT INFO
 Sample letters are prepared to give you ample background on an issue.
 Try to change some words, pare down letters, and make them your own.
 **DELETE ALL REFERENCES TO KINSHIP CIRCLE BEFORE SENDING**

 Governor Timothy Kaine
 Office of the Governor, 14th Floor
 One Capitol Square, 830 E. Main Street
 Richmond, VA 23219
 ph: 804-371-0840 * fax: 804-371-0935
 web feedback form:
http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

 Suzanne Baird, Refuge Manager
 The Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
 3100 Desert Road
 Suffolk, Virginia 23434
 ph: 757-986-3705 * email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Marvin Moriarty, Regional Director
 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Regional Office
 300 Westgate Center Drive
 Hadley, MA 01035-9589
 ph: 413-253-8200 * fax: 413-253-8308
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Dear Governor Kaine, Ms. Baird and Mr. Moriarty:

 I am disappointed the Great Dismal Swamp Wildlife Refuge will renew its
 two-day black bear hunt in Virginia, despite last year's widespread
 disapproval. I understand the November 30 and December 1, 2007 hunt will
 allow twice as many shooters each day and an expanded kill zone.

 I ask Governor Kaine to publicly oppose this needless slaughter, intended
 solely for recreation. The controversial hunt caters to trophy hunters, a
 marginal interest group. Nationally, consumptive wildlife practices such as
 hunting and trapping have steadily declined since the 1970s. Conversely, the
 more lucrative trend in non-consumptive wildlife watching, hiking, bird
 watching, etc. has risen considerably.

 With regard to bear control and human safety, I urge Governor Kaine to
 advocate education and prevention instead of slaughter. Public learning
 programs, aversive conditioning and bear-proof trash and food containment
 have demonstrated far more long-term value than killing wildlife. Bears are
 less prone to wander off the Refuge in search of discarded food if they
 don't have access to garbage.

 I also ask the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Great Dismal Swamp
 National Wildlife Refuge to cancel this black bear hunt. FWS has neglected
 to fulfill its legal obligation to assess the environmental impacts of a
 hunt -- instead referencing two black bear studies that both advised a
 moratorium until more data was evaluated. One author even suggested a bear
 hunt could worsen a decline in genetic diversity. These studies indicate
 bear numbers are already compromised by genetic uncertainties, along with
 habitat deterioration beyond Refuge borders.

 I call upon the Governor and wildlife agencies to resolve human-bear
 conflicts through education and enforcement of proper waste disposal.
 Conscientious citizens do not support the harassment and slaughter of
 wildlife. I look forward to your response to my letter.

 Sincerely,

 GET COOL CLOTHES - http://www.kinshipcircle.org/store/

 Kinship Circle is a nonprofit organization serving the animal advocacy
 community. Donations fund the literature, website, research/campaigns,
 educational outreach, and animal disaster aid information -- that let YOU
 take action for animals. DONATE: http://www.kinshipcircle.org/donation/

 BEAR WITNESS.  SPEAK.  DEMAND.  ACT.
 Action Campaigns I Literature I Voice For Animals
 Nonprofit working in animal protection/cruelty + animal disaster relief
campaigns
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.KinshipCircle.org * http://www.kinshipcircle.org/disasters/

 * Make sure the “To” line from our original alert is in your email, LIKE THIS: