On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 04:14, Abramo Bagnara wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > >I'm ommiting discussion about questionable efficiency of a callback based
> > >API in unix environment here.
> >
> > abramo and i have already disagreed, then measured, then agreed that:
> > although an IPC-based callback system is not ideal, on today's
> > processors, it is fast enough to be useful. the gains this creates for
> > developers (their entire application is in a single address space) are
> > sufficiently large that its hard to ignore. if we had a single GUI
> > toolkit for linux, then it might be easier to "force" developers to
> > write code that would be executed in the address space of a server
> > process, but we don't. adding 50usec to the execution time so that we
> > can provide isolated address spaces doesn't seem to bad, and it will
> > get better (non-linearly, though) as CPU speeds continue to increase.
>
> I don't think this is relevant wrt Jaroslav objection. He was not
> proposing a *all-in-a-process* solution.
>
> I believe that it's your CoreAudio like approach fallen in love he find
> questionable (and I'm tempted to agree with him ;-).

Have you actually used CoreAudio or done any measurements? I think that
Paul is absolutely correct to fall in love with the best performing
audio API available on any platform (which is also very easy to use). I
would suggest that anyone who doubts that callback based APIs offer
significant advantages use CoreAudio, ASIO, etc. before taking too
strong a position. These platforms offer performance equal to or better
than ALSA while making it much more likely that the average programmer
can take advantage of that performance by providing a greatly simplified
interface.

Karl

> --
> Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Opera Unica                          Phone: +39.546.656023
> Via Emilia Interna, 140
> 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy
>
> ALSA project               http://www.alsa-project.org
> It sounds good!

Karl W. MacMillan
Computer Music Department
Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac