At 02 Jul 2003 21:24:57 -0400,
Manuel Jander wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wrote support for the Hardware Equalizer (10 band stereo = 20
> controls) for the Aureal Vortex cards. For testing purposes i used the
> controls as "MIXER" type controls, so they are visible from any mixer.
> The question: How should they be named ? Is the type "MIXER" acceptable
> ? In my opinion it is at least pretty convenient.

MXIER should be fine.

the name is still an open question, but it's not strict at all.
i would use a name like "XXX Playback Volume", where "XXX" would be
likely "Equalizer" or "Aureal Equalizer", etc.
anyway, it's your choice, since you are the first conqueror :)

> Now that the EQ is done, i would like to write support for a EQ peak
> visualization support that the AUreal cards provide. That is there are
> hardware registers that can be read to obtain the peak values of each
> frequency band. The same question as above: How should that readonly
> control to be named ?

it's also not defined well.  i'd suggest you to use an intuitive name
such as "VU Meter", "Equalizer Peak", etc.

> I guess it would be bad idea having it added like a MIXER type control.
> I was thinking of using HWDEP instead, and write a special graphical
> application for the visualization purpose (accessing the ALSA controls).
> Is there something like this done before ??

usually this type of control is implemented in MIXER or PCM.
for example, ice1712 driver provides peak meters over MIXER.
HWDEP should be used really for the hwdep devices.
you can add READ|VOLATILE attribute flag to indicate the frequent
changes of values.

> And at last, could someone please with suggar on the top update the ALSA
> support matrix ???!! The Aureal Vortex cards -YES THEY ARE- supported.
> (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/openvortex/)

please ask Patrick Shirkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, the
maintainer of the web page.

ciao,