Software: ALSA 0.9.0beta12 on stock Red Hat 7.2, kernel 2.4.9-31
Hardware: M-Audio Delta 1010
Command Line: arecord -c 8 -r 44100 -f S32_LE test.raw

Recording & playback in two-channel mode works fine.  Recording in 8
(or any number greater than 2) only picks up sound from the first two
inputs, but the filesize is proportionate to the number of channels I
specified.

That seems like a simple enough bug, but here's where it gets weird:
if I specify channels=1, it averages together all eight inputs!  So I
can actually hear everything that I want to record, but it's all
squished together into a single channel.

Incidentally, this setup (8-channel recording) worked fine for me a
few months ago, when I was running 0.9.0beta10 on a different system
(but the same Delta box).  I tried rolling back to 0.9.0beta10 but I
got the same problem: it appears that it didn't install succesfully,
because /proc/asound/version still reports 0.9.0beta12.

This is quite depressing because we are getting ready to have our
track cut to vinyl, but we can't do that until we can succesfully
record all four stereo parts.  Any assistance much appreciated!

-Adam Wiggins