Thomas Vaughan wrote:
>  1) Is there a good debugging guide?  I'm guessing
>     that ALSA experts have a checklist, like
>      - check kernel config
>      - check alsa build config
>      - check /etc/modules.conf
>      - check lsmod
>      - etc.

Try
http://www.google.com/search?q=alsa+troubleshooting

>  2) I just tried the Creative Labs linux drivers,
>     and they also didn't work with midi.  But they
>     do claim that the UART midi should work.

The ALSA driver makes the same claim (otherwise midiC0D0 wouldn't exist).

>  3) What do the "alias sound-service-x-y" lines
>     in /etc/modules.conf do?  x is the card number,
>     but what is y?  Is y related to the numbers in
>     /proc/asound/devices?

sound-service-x-y is for autoloading OSS device drivers. If you do "ls -l"
in /dev you'll see OSS devices with major number 14 and minor number
x*32+y.

> > Does it work in another operating system?
>
> The other operating system I tried was FreeBSD,
> and the driver situation was worse than Linux :)

I had thought of the OS Not To Be Named(TM), because the manufacturer's
drivers usually work. :-)

> But given that the rest of the card is working,
> it seems unlikely that just the external MIDI is
> broken.

Yes.

> I've seen a lot of people asking about MIDI for this card.
> I think it's just hard (or non-obvious) to set up.

I think the problem is your cable. Many cheap gameport-MIDI converters do
not work, especially with Soundblaster cards.

Please try connecting pins 12 (MIDI TxD) and 15 (MIDI RxD) of the gameport
with a wire. Then all data sent to the MIDI port will be echoed back (if
the port works).

  8             1
\ o o o o o o o o /
 \ o o o o o o o /