Stefan Bund wrote:
> (...)
> My biggest concern is latency: I have no idea, how much latency a USB
> sound device will have. Does anyone have Information on this subject?

USB audio data is sent once per frame over the bus (1 frame = 1ms), and
the driver prepares the data for four frames in advance, so the latency
would be at least 5ms, not counting any delays in the software or in the
device. It may be possible to lower the latency by changing the definition
of NRPACKS in usbaudio.c, but it will never be lower than 2ms.

> Something like the above mentioned Edirol would be great, if the linux
> support is good and it works for life realtime processing.

Nearly all USB audio devices are supported by Linux. See
<http://www.qbik.ch/> for a device database.

HTH
Clemens