CORRECTION: The Master Clock setting is set to the applicable rate as usual upon startup of envy24control, but no output (if audio is playing before opening, the audio drops out as soon as the forementioned fucntion is called (as seen from gdb). I have to *select* Word Clcok in order to get any output. I had it backwards. Again, this is only when the digital signal on the S/PDIF out line doesnt' just drop out completely, requiring a driver unload/reload.

Doug McLain wrote:
From v.1.0.3rc2 on, whenever I open envy24control, the S/PDIF output drops out. The Master Clock setting gets set to 'Word Clock'. I can usually regain output by switching back to an internal clock source. Sometimes it kills S/PDIF completely, meaning the 'digital in' LED on my monitors drops out, and wont return until I unload and reload the ice1712 driver.

I did a diff between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 to see that the subdevice ID of the 1010LT has been added to a couple of checks. The one in particular that seems to be hosing me is the function called on line 85 of >= 1.0.3rc2:

snd_ctl_elem_value_set_boolean(word_clock_sync, 0, on ? 1 : 0);

By commenting this line all the S/PDIF problems go away, and I can open/close envy24control at will without losing the output. All of the master clock functionality works as excpected. I confirmed this on 1.0.3rc2, 1.0.3, 1.0.4, and CVS versions of alsa-tools. I don't know the alsa lib API well enough yet to know if this is a legitimate fix for a legitimate bug, but it does at least fix the problem on 4 delta 1010LT equipped machines that I have.

Doug

-- http://nostar.isa-geek.com/