At Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:47:47 +0200,
Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:42:32 +0100
> Takashi Iwai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > At Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:03:45 +0200,
> > Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> > >
> > > P.S. On Mandriva 2006.0 'xpdf' is broken. So, being constructively lazy,
> > > I just replaced it with the one from Mandriva 10.2. Of course, I did this
> > > by picking Mandriva 10.2 'xpdf' RPM. That is, I reverted to older BINARY
> > > version.
> > >
> > > I believe that ALSA users should have the ability to simply revert to
> > > older
> > > binary version of ALSA as well.
> >
> > The binary compatibility of alsa-lib has been kept for long time.  We
> > have occasionally fixes and extensions, but the old binary should run.
> >
> > However, the often problematic part during versions is the
> > confiugration.  It's not API/ABI.
> >

> > Takashi
> >

> Again, in simple English, is there a document describing how
> to install, say, binary ALSA version 1.0.6 on 2.6.15 kernel ?

In simple shell syntax:

        tar xvf alsa-lib-1.0.6.tar.gz
        ./configure
        su -c "make install"

> Also, please see very recent Lee's note and pay attention to these words:
>
> "
> This won't work as 1.0.9-rc4 is older than the version that comes with
> kernel 2.6.13.  Either use the latest ALSA release (1.0.10) or just use
> the version included with kernel 2.6.13.
> ".

Yeah, it is the very configuration issue (and the very specific to
each sound card).  You might need to modify the alsa-lib configuration
files to suit with the latest driver status after you instal the older
alsa-lib.

We don't guarantee that alsa-lib-1.0.9 configuration does work with
2.6.15 kernel and we don't dare to fix old releases.  But the old
binary itself can communicate with the kernel without any problems.
Of course there were bugs in old alsa-lib, but it's irrelevant with
the topic here.

Takashi