Daniel Kraft wrote:
> I'm using a very late kernel (2.6.17.3), but currently I'm using OSS for
> sound; as I built nearly my whole system from source (using "Core"
> distro), I have no pre-installed ALSA or something like that.
>
> Now I want to switch to ALSA, but I don't really know how to do so.  If
> I simply activate all corresponding options in my kernel-config
> (building all ALSA drivers available there), sound simply does not work.

What do you mean with "does not work"?  Drivers not loaded?  No device
files?  Error messages?  Device accepts data, but not sound?  Green
demons coming out of your speakers?

> What could be the problem?

That's difficult to tell without knowing what the symptoms are.

If a driver is loaded, it should be listed in /proc/asound/cards.

What happens when you run "aplay something.wav"?

> should I only install the library and utilities, or do I even need the
> driver package as addition to my kernel?

The driver package is only needed for kernels without ALSA.  All other
packages should be installed, but you need only lib and utils for basic
things.

Regards,
Clemens