Okay, I'm holding off on reporting a bug because maybe things are more complex
than I originally thought.

As I said, Debian's pulled a few new alsa packages into their testing distro,
which is what I use.  And since those packages were pulled in, my problems have
largely disappeared.  Actually, I tried to remove the "model=acer-aspire"
option and rebooted my machine several times, and most times the recording just
works now.  So, I don't really see a smoking gun with this option anymore.

That being said, I am having intermittent problems when after a bootup, I will
try to record, and I can record one time successfully, and after that it'll
stop recording properly until I reload the driver.  Just reloading the driver
will clear things up; model=acer-aspire isn't needed.

Should I still post something to the devel list even though this is maybe not
as definitive as I thought?

- Paul