Florian,
   Any chance you might be working on hdspmixer at the same time. I
worked on testing it when Thomas Charbonell first wrote the program.
One disappointing limitation of the whole HDSP Linux support suite is
that there is no way to use the cards without logging in to a
graphical interface and running  hdspmixer by hand to set everything
up. It would be a real help if the Linux environment could set up the
card's audio routing when Alsa first comes up so that a graphical
environment wasn't required at all.

thanks,
Mark