Thanks for all replies so far! I'm reading information  re all
suggestions. Many seem very nice. I will use it with a laptop and  I
guess there's no need therefore to get a card  with fancy features
such as xlr or direct monitoring of the inputs.

I basically want to be able to use a combination of a good headset and
good soundcard capable of achieving the quality needed for speech
recognition. I never tried a microphone that requires phantom
power/xlr and am unsure if there's any worthwhile improvement.
I guess for my purpose USB 1 suffices.

A small size would be a nice bonus and the same goes for good quality
outputs to connect the card to a stereo.

By the way I'm in Europe (mostly nl), so models that are sold and
relatively easy to get over here have a strong preference.

Thanks again, Bolawy