I have playback working but when I go to use 'arecord -d 10 test.wav'
it creates a 44 byte file (I assume the .wav header) and doesn't
return after 10 seconds.

I've seen other posts with the same issue but no solutions.

I've verified that the Mic data is making it through the I2S port from
the codec onto the data line.  I'm wondering if alsa-lib is seeing any
data coming from the SPORT port.  Any idea on how to debug this?

I hate to bother the developer list but would it be appropriate to
cross post there also?