On 07/06/2012 12:10 PM, Igor Gueths wrote:
> Hello Doug.
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:04:48AM -0400, Doug wrote:
/snip/

>> I too have not been able to get HDMI sound out of my video card in Linux
>> (PCLOS) altho it works in XP. I had a lot of intended help from the PCLOS
>> forum, but nothing worked.
>> Have you tried to use either the proprietary NVidia drivers, or Nouveau? I
>> currently am using the former; and when properly configured (at least with my
>> machine), if I redirect audio to my SPDIF output, I'll get HDMI audio.
>> igueths@lappie:~$ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
>>    Subdevices: 0/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> Hope this helps.
Two things:  How do you redirect audio to SPDIF  (whatever that is) output?
(See note below about both outputs.)
And: Here's my aplay output:

[doug@Linux1 /]$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1
Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I am using the NVidia driver. I'm aware that Nouvou doesn't support all the
features of the card, and is usually deprecated except by open-source
fanatics.

I would not want sound ONLY from HDMI--I want it always to come out BOTH
sound processors--the one on the mobo for local use on my desk, and the
other for the TV when I have it switched to HDMI1.  (When it's not switched
to the computer, the sound just will not be heard on that channel.)

Maybe I'm asking for something that can't be done, I don't know.  In XP,
I've run the NVidia software, and now the sound ONLY comes out the TV.
It doesn't matter, because I only use XP for TV output anyway.

Thanx for your input--doug