Hi,

thanks a lot.

Quoting Clemens Ladisch <cladi...@googlemail.com>:

> Florian Hanisch wrote:
>> I have been trying to connect a friend's soundcard (RME fireface UCX)
>> to my linux computer. [...] RME claims that the device has a class
>> compliance mode (which is working with a mac computer) so that
>> it should be able to communicate with a linux system just using the
>> USB-audio-2.0 standard.  Pluging the device, I get the following
>> messages from dmesg:
>>
>> [  864.162776] usbaudio: unit 2: invalid UAC_FEATURE_UNIT descriptor
>
> So much for class compliance.  This is likely to be a bug in the
> device's descriptors.  Please show the output of "lsusb -v" for
> this device.

I add it at the end of my message.

> In any case, the driver should not abort in this case; it should
> work fine without the mixer controls that this descriptor failed
> to describe.

How can I see that the driver is working properly and how can I
actually access the soundcard then ? I connected the soundcard and it
is recognized (see "lsusb -v" below) but I can not find it in the
system settings and also not in the JACK setup. I thought it should
appear there. I also tested a very cheap/crappy usb-1.1 soundcard,
this was completely recognized and could be activated in the system
settings etc.

I don't know whether this is important but my computer is a sort of
old, maybe the usb-controllers are too old ? On my board, I have the
following:

00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI
Controller (rev 02)

Best,

Florian

Here is the part of "lsusb -v" related to the fireface:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:3fd9 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
   bDeviceSubClass         2 ?
   bDeviceProtocol         1 Interface Association
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x0424 Standard Microsystems Corp.
   idProduct          0x3fd9
   bcdDevice            0.01
   iManufacturer           1 RME
   iProduct                2 Fireface UCX (23455936)
   iSerial                 3 A0A762B3C75E8C8
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength          433
     bNumInterfaces          4
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
       (Bus Powered)
     MaxPower              100mA
     Interface Association:
       bLength                 8
       bDescriptorType        11
       bFirstInterface         0
       bInterfaceCount         4
       bFunctionClass          1 Audio
       bFunctionSubClass       0
       bFunctionProtocol      32
       iFunction               0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Control Device
       bInterfaceProtocol     32
       iInterface              0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
         bcdADC               2.00
         bCategory               8
         wTotalLength           85
         bmControl            0x00
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 8
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype     10 (CLOCK_SOURCE)
         bClockID                1
         bmAttributes         0x03 Internal programmable Clock
         bmControls           0x03
           Clock Frequency Control (read/write)
         bAssocTerminal          0
         iClockSource            0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                17
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             3
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bCSourceID              1
         bNrChannels             8
         bmChannelConfig   0x00000000
         bmControls    0x0000
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                17
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             5
         wTerminalType      0x0201 Microphone
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bCSourceID              1
         bNrChannels             8
         bmChannelConfig   0x00000000
         bmControls    0x0000
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             4
         wTerminalType      0x0301 Speaker
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               2
         bCSourceID              1
         bmControls         0x0000
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             6
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               5
         bCSourceID              1
         bmControls         0x0000
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                10
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      6 (FEATURE_UNIT)
         bUnitID                 2
         bSourceID               3
         bmaControls( 0)      0x0000000c
           Volume Control (read/write)
         iFeature                0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol     32
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       1
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol     32
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                16
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           3
         bmControls           0x00
         bFormatType             1
         bmFormats               1
           PCM
         bNrChannels             8
         bmChannelConfig   0x00000000
         iChannelNames           0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 6
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bSubslotSize            4
         bBitResolution         24
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            5
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Asynchronous
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
         bInterval               1
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 8
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x00
           bmControls           0x00
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes           17
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Feedback
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
         bInterval               4
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       2
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol     32
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                16
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           3
         bmControls           0x00
         bFormatType             1
         bmFormats               1
           PCM
         bNrChannels             2
         bmChannelConfig   0x00000003
           Front Left (FL)
           Front Right (FR)
         iChannelNames           0
[...]
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol     32
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       1
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol     32
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                16
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           6
         bmControls           0x00
         bFormatType             1
         bmFormats               1
           PCM
         bNrChannels             8
         bmChannelConfig   0x00000000
         iChannelNames           0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 6
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bSubslotSize            4
         bBitResolution         24
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
[...]
       bInterfaceNumber        3
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      3 MIDI Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              2 Fireface UCX (23455936)
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
         bcdADC               1.00
         wTotalLength           97
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (MIDI_OUT_JACK)
         bJackType               1 Embedded
         bJackID                 3
         bNrInputPins            1
         baSourceID( 0)          2
         BaSourcePin( 0)         1
         iJack                   4 Port 1
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 6
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (MIDI_IN_JACK)
         bJackType               2 External
         bJackID                 2
         iJack                   4 Port 1
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (MIDI_OUT_JACK)
         bJackType               1 Embedded
         bJackID                 7
         bNrInputPins            1
         baSourceID( 0)          6
         BaSourcePin( 0)         1
         iJack                   5 Port 2
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 6
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (MIDI_IN_JACK)
         bJackType               2 External
         bJackID                 6
         iJack                   5 Port 2
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 6
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (MIDI_IN_JACK)
         bJackType               1 Embedded
         bJackID                 1
         iJack                   4 Port 1
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (MIDI_OUT_JACK)
         bJackType               2 External
         bJackID                 4
         bNrInputPins            1
         baSourceID( 0)          1
         BaSourcePin( 0)         1
         iJack                   4 Port 1
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 6
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (MIDI_IN_JACK)
         bJackType               1 Embedded
         bJackID                 5
         iJack                   5 Port 2
       MIDIStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (MIDI_OUT_JACK)
         bJackType               2 External
         bJackID                 8
         bNrInputPins            1
         baSourceID( 0)          5
         BaSourcePin( 0)         1
         iJack                   5 Port 2
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x07  EP 7 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         MIDIStreaming Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 6
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (GENERAL)
           bNumEmbMIDIJack         2
           baAssocJackID( 0)       1
           baAssocJackID( 1)       5
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         MIDIStreaming Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 6
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (GENERAL)
           bNumEmbMIDIJack         2
           baAssocJackID( 0)       3
           baAssocJackID( 1)       7
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
   bLength                10
   bDescriptorType         6
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
   bDeviceSubClass         2 ?
   bDeviceProtocol         1 Interface Association
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   bNumConfigurations      0
Device Status:     0xff00
   (Bus Powered)