Hello everyone.
I bought a MAYA44 USB+ sound card to use in Linux and although is on the
list of compatible devices at http://www.alsa-project.org, I can not make
it work properly. Maybe something is missing because the site says "under
development", so I write hoping that someone can help me.

MAYA44 USB+ is identical to MAYA44 USB, only adds a aluminum enclosure (
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/maya44usb+)

In a quick search, I see that others have the same problem, but could not
find a solution. If someone can put me in the right direction, I have no
trouble doing the tests we need, recompile kernel modules or anything else.

The problem is that there's no volume control on the input lines, and
default volume is too low. In alsamixer, if I select "capture" for this
soundcard it shows "This sound device does not have any capture controls".
I tried turning up the volume on my sound source, but all I achieve is a
saturated, low sound.

In Windows, the soundcard works fine and have input volume controls.
Specifically, have 12 volume controls, in pairs:

INPUT 1, 2
INPUT 3, 4

MONITOR 1, 2
MONITOR 3, 4

OUTPUT 1, 2
OUTPUT 3, 4

Each pair, has a mute button.

For comparison, I took a sample of sound from a external hardware mixer and
recorded in Audacity with Linux.
Later, on a Windows computer, I installed the original drivers, connect the
soundcard and I repeated the process of recording the same sample also in
Windows Audacity at same "hardware" volume.
The result is that in Windows I reach a level of 0dB on the Audacity VU
meter with clear audio. In Linux, the same sample not exceed -24dB.

This gives me the idea that the Linux driver, as it has no volume control
recording, leave the default volume of the soundcard, which is at the
minimum. As a note, Audacity in Linux shows me options for record with 1, 2
and 4 input channels in MAYA and I can select it, but the volume input
slider is grayed out.

I did a search and try different configurations about .asoundrc, try build
a module with quirks or even make a driver from scratch, but for now is out
of my reach and all I got are errors or noises in my speakers. I also try
installing the last kernel from sources, uninstalling pulseaudio, try on
other computers, without luck.

To make the long story short, the only thing missing are the input volume
controls.

No errors on syslog or dmesg.

Here I copy the technical information that I have, hopefully someone can
help me, If anyone needs any further detail, just ask:

----------------------------

mint mint # uname -a
Linux mint 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

----------------------------

mint mint # cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.13.0-24-generic.

----------------------------

mint mint # cat /proc/asound/devices
  1:        : sequencer
  2: [29]   : control
  3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  5: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
  6: [ 0]   : control
  7: [ 2- 0]: digital audio playback
  8: [ 2- 0]: digital audio capture
  9: [ 2]   : control
 10: [ 1- 9]: digital audio playback
 11: [ 1- 8]: digital audio playback
 12: [ 1- 7]: digital audio playback
 13: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
 14: [ 1- 3]: hardware dependent
 15: [ 1- 2]: hardware dependent
 16: [ 1- 1]: hardware dependent
 17: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
 18: [ 1]   : control
 33:        : timer

----------------------------

mint mint # aplay -l
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: CX20585 Analog [CX20585 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: USB [MAYA44 USB+], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

----------------------------

mint mint # aplay -L
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
null
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
sysdefault:CARD=MID
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
surround41:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
surround50:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
surround51:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
surround71:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
dmix:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
sysdefault:CARD=USB
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
front:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=USB,DEV=0
    MAYA44 USB+, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions

----------------------------

mint mint # cat /proc/asound/card2/usbmixer
USB Mixer: usb_id=0x25730008, ctrlif=0, ctlerr=0
Card: ESI Audiotechnik GmbH MAYA44 USB+ at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.2, full speed
  Unit: 2
    Control: name="Line Playback Volume", index=1
    Info: id=2, control=2, cmask=0x3, channels=2, type="S16"
    Volume: min=0, max=255, dBmin=0, dBmax=99
  Unit: 2
    Control: name="Line Playback Switch", index=1
    Info: id=2, control=1, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="INV_BOOLEAN"
    Volume: min=0, max=1, dBmin=0, dBmax=0
  Unit: 4
    Control: name="Line Playback Volume", index=0
    Info: id=4, control=2, cmask=0x3, channels=2, type="S16"
    Volume: min=0, max=255, dBmin=0, dBmax=99
  Unit: 4
    Control: name="Line Playback Switch", index=0
    Info: id=4, control=1, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="INV_BOOLEAN"
    Volume: min=0, max=1, dBmin=0, dBmax=0
  Unit: 7
    Control: name="Speaker Playback Volume", index=0
    Info: id=7, control=2, cmask=0x3, channels=2, type="S16"
    Volume: min=0, max=255, dBmin=0, dBmax=99
  Unit: 7
    Control: name="Speaker Playback Switch", index=0
    Info: id=7, control=1, cmask=0x0, channels=1, type="INV_BOOLEAN"
    Volume: min=0, max=1, dBmin=0, dBmax=0

----------------------------

mint mint # cat /proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/info
card: 2
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: PLAYBACK
id: USB Audio
name: USB Audio
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1

----------------------------

mint mint # cat /proc/asound/card2/pcm0c/info
card: 2
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: USB Audio
name: USB Audio
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1

----------------------------

mint mint # cat /proc/asound/card2/stream0
ESI Audiotechnik GmbH MAYA44 USB+ at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.2, full speed : USB
Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 4
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
    Rates: 44100, 48000

Capture:
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 4
    Endpoint: 2 IN (SYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000

----------------------------

mint mint # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc. M90/M100 Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2573:0008
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0951:1603 Kingston Technology DataTraveler 1GB/2GB
Pen Drive
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

mint mint # cat /proc/asound/card2/usbid
2573:0008