Today I discovered something interesting.
I wondered if the vendor:product id that appears in lsusb may be wrong and
makes fail the Alsa or USB system to identified the device properly.
Let me explain better:
Apparently the ESI Maya-44 USB must have worked in the past, it is a fairly
old and popular soundcard.
What if the device is correctly identified some years ago because I had a
correct ID, but later the manufacturer changed the ID, leaving the device
as unknown or configured as generic.

So I began to search the list of IDs in /var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids to find
the manufacturer "ESI" and I not find it.
Then, if I search for "MAYA" and I find this:

0a92 EGO Systems, Inc.
        0011 SYS Waveterminal U2A
        0021 GIGAPort
        0031 GIGAPortAG
        0053 Audiotrak Optoplay
        0061 U24 Waveterminal
        0071 MAYA EX7
        0091 Maya 44
        00b1 MAYA EX5
        1000 MIDI Mate
        1010 Romi / O
        1020 M4U
        1030 M8U
        1090 KeyControl49
        10A0 KeyControl25

If I search "EGO Systems, Inc." without quotes in Google, the first result
is www.ego-systems.com and second www.esi-audio.com!

All devices listed in the usb.ids file as "EGO Systems" vendor are products
that you can find on the ESI website, in the section "product" or "product
archive" (http://www.esi-audio.com/products/archive /).

In my case, my sound card appears as:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2573: 0008

It is possible to "rename" the USB ID to be identified as 0a92:0091 and
test if it works properly?

Thanks!