Dear Jason,

Am Mittwoch, den 03.05.2017, 15:20 +1000 schrieb Jason Harrop:
> I've got a Dell M4700 running Ubuntu linux 16.04, and the latest ALSA
> driver, but I can't get the internal microphone to work.  I did have a USB
> mic working, but not any more it seems...

[…]

First the obvious, did you make sure, the microphone is not muted?

Have you tried a newer software stack? As you already use Ubuntu, you
could give Ubuntu 17.04 a try. Any other GNU/Linux distribution as
Fedora or Debian also work, and provide live images. You can prepare a
USB storage medium, and boot your system from it, without having to
install it.

If the problem persists, please contact the list alsa-devel, and also
report an issue to the Ubuntu bug tracker [1].

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems