I've concluded that the problem is a hardware issue with this particular
M4700 laptop, since on another one, the mic works under Ubuntu 16.04 and
SUSE.  When I boot this laptop with the other's hard drive (ie the distro
in which the mic is working), the mic doesn't work.  Both machines are
running the same BIOS version, so I'm putting it down to a hardware issue
and moving on.