On 6/4/19 20:22, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> Am 04.06.19 um 08:54 schrieb Clemens Ladisch via Alsa-user:
>> Stefan Sauer wrote:
>>> 'lsusb' shows the device as:
>>> Bus 006 Device 003: ID 086a:0001 Emagic Soft- und Hardware GmbH Unitor8
>>>
>>> 'amidi -l' shows a human readable name for all midi devices, but the 'Emagic
>>> Unitor amt 8' (hw:4,0) show up with a generic name:
>>> Dir Device    Name
>>> IO  hw:4,0,0  USB Device 0x86a:0x01 MIDI 1
>> lsusb has a database of names.
>>
>> The snd-usb-audio driver asks the device for what its name is.  You can
>> see these values in the output of "sudo lsusb -v" for "iManufacturer"/
>> "iProduct".  (Please check this.)  When these values cannot be read, you
>> get that "USB Device" name.
>>
>> It is possible to override this name by adding a .product_name entry
>> in the sound/usb/quirks-table.h file and recompiling the kernel.
>> (At least the MT4 does not need this override.  If the Unitor8 or the
>> AMT8 require it, this change can be made permanent.)
>>

>> Regards,
>> Clemens
> Thanks for the quick reply, lets see if the usbids can be updated
> https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/086a/0001?action=list

After digging the kernel sources, this looks more like the device is not
reporting the those strings and this is nothing that can be added
through usb.ids.

Interestingly though in

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blame/master/sound/usb/quirks-table.h#L2406

the product_name entrues are commented out. I'll make the change locally
to see if this helps. Thanks for the pointers.

Stefan