Hi Adrian,

Really thank you for your "sanity review"! It is very helpful for us at
this moment. Let me separate my response into two parts to answer your
comments.

The following response applies to your comments until Sec 3. I'll send
another email to respond to your remaining comments soon.

Thanks,
Jensen

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 7:10 PM Adrian Farrel <adr...@olddog.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi authors,
>

> Thanks for starting this work on a YANG model for ALTO servers. I believe
> this will be a useful component to support the operational features of ALTO
> in real deployments.
>

> I have done a "sanity review" rather than a detailed technical review.
>

> In summary, this looks like a reasonable starting point to address some of
> the work in the WG for handling OAM from an operational point of view.
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> Best,
>
> Adrian
>

> ==observations==
>

> Obviously (!) there is no YANG in this model yet. I think that is OK for
>
> a work in progress, but I'm not sure about adopting it until at least a
>
> first attempt has been made.

Very perceptive observation! Some parts of the proposed model had not been
tested yet when this document was drafted.
We plan to test all the proposed features and add the YANG code before the
next IETF meeting.

> ---
>

> The Title says the document is about OAM for ALTO protocol, but the
>
> Abstract says "operations and management". I prefer the Abstract's
>
> choice of words.

Thanks for raising this issue. I double-checked RFC6291 (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6291).
And I realize that "OAM" is a broader concept than "operations and
management". RFC7285 does only use "operations and management".
But this document also wants to provide some maintenance functionality,
e.g., allowing upgrade of ALTO services. Maybe "O&M" is better?

> ---
>

> Extensibility
>

> The document is good to mention that it is a requirement that the model
>
> be extensible for ALTO protocol extensions. And it is right that it
>
> focus on the base protocol and the core extensions already published as
>
> RFCs.
>

> What is needed, however, is a discussion of how that objective has been
>
> met and how it is expected that extensions will be handled.
>

> I suggest doing this by a new section "Extending this Data Model". You
>
> won't need to write much.

Very good suggestion!

> ---
>

> I really like Table 2 and the indication of what requirements are being
>
> addressed.
>

> Three points:
>

> 1. I did not check back to RFC 7285 to see that all of the requirements
>
>    are listed. I do note that there is a gap (16.2.3) and assume that
>
>    that is deliberate.

Good catch. We notice that 16.2.3 can be merged into 16.2.5.
But maybe we can add a sentence to point this out. It can help readers to
better understand.

> 2. The text before the table mentions RFC 7971 but that doesn't appear
>
>    in the table

RFC7971 also follows the guideline by Sec 16 of RFC7285 but adds more
metrics.
But I agree that listing RFC7971 in the reference is better.

> 3. There is not traceability of the solution to these requirements
>
>    (e.g., resolved by the cost-metric data object). Section 4.2 maps the
>
>    requirements into more specific requirements, but still lacks the
>
>    traceability of what elements of the model satisfy the requirements.

Good point. We will add such a mapping in the next revision.