De: Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zh...@gmail.com>
Enviado el: miércoles, 26 de abril de 2023 2:29
Para: kai...@scu.edu.cn
CC: LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO <luismiguel.contrerasmuri...@telefonica.com>;
IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>; Qin Wu <bill...@huawei.com>
Asunto: Re: [alto] Proposed Agenda for Interims #2-5

Hi Luis and all,

Thanks for this useful collection of data sources. Besides the data sources
listed in this collection, I am wondering if the following kinds of data
sources can also be considered:

1. Prefix information, e.g., internet routing registry (IRR). It provides route
and provider related information attached to IP prefixes. It may be helpful for
network/property map generation, or locating the network domain in multidomain
settings.

[[Luis>]] This can be a useful information to add if different policies apply
to different administrative domains. I think it could be used for map filtering
purposes (as described in section 4.1.2 of RFC 7285). For instance thinking on
the pilot we are doing in Telefonica for integrating ALTO with the Telefonica
CDN, this property could be used for deciding from which streamer send the
content to external prefixes of subscribers sitting in ISPs different from
Telefonica.

2. Data plane information, e.g., routing and forwarding tables read from BGP
looking glass server or other OAM tools. Although I see the "IETF TE Network
topology" source can already provide routing information, it may focus on the
control plane, e.g., routing policy, not the data plane.

[[Luis>]] Not 100% clear to me this point (i.e., your reference to data plane).
So my answer could not be exactly addressing your question. In my view,
relaying on tools like BGP looking glass can certainly provide information
about reachability of prefixes, especially in multi-domain settings where there
is no possibility of retrieving such information e.g. for another ALTO server.
So it can help to infer some notion of cost map for a given point in time in
relation with some IP prefixes. The best would be probably to pair with the
corresponding ALTO server for that domain for getting the information directly,
but if this is not possible, BGP looking glass could be certainly an
alternative for indirectly obtaining such information.

3. Telemetry information, e.g., traceroute. It can get both routing and
performance information. It may have some overlap with the performance metrics.

[[Luis>]] As before, it would be preferible to pair with corresponding ALTO
servers for this. If not possible, that could be a way of inferring
performance, which is somehow similar to what most of the applications make
today for taking their own service decisions (I mean, inferring behaviors from
performance metrics observed by their own).

Looking forward to seeing more discussions on this topic.

Best,
Jensen

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 10:55 PM <kai...@scu.edu.cn<mailto:kai...@scu.edu.cn>>