"Winton H. E.  Davies" <wdav...@cs.stanford.edu> writes:

> Wait, doesn't the telemetrum do GPS over radio? Why would you need RDF?
> Just get the dongle and attach to laptop (or even android device I believe
> now?)

A simple RDF tone can be detected at a much lower signal strength than
is required for either APRS or our digital telemetry. As a result, you'll
be able to get some kind of bearing information much further away.

If you don't have a solid location from near the ground before landing,
having the ability to RDF will let you get close enough to pick up the
GPS data for the last bit of the search.

--
-keith