The problem with the Baofeng UV3R that I have is ease of use, or rather lack of. If you want to set it up with a Mobilinkd modem it's good. But for general use it cumbersome. To DF you will want to turn off the squelch. To do that you have to hit the Menu button on the front panel and use the selector knob on the top of the radio to scroll through the functions to the squelch function. Then hit the U/V button to select the squelch feature and then rotate the selector knob on top until the squelch is set to zero. It works. It takes longer to read than to actually do it but it isn't convenient. Even the volume control is primitive. Hit the Vol button and rotate the selector knob to turn the volume up or down. The entire volume range is only 9 steps. I find I only use the first two steps. The big feature is that is is cheap. I mostly use mine to monitor the launch channel on the FRS service while hunting rockets away from the launch area. The launches are almost cooler 1/2 mile away from the pad! That's my experience your mileage may vary.

Terry