Hi again,

Tanniel Simonian schrieb:

> Hello, and thank you for your response.
> If you have time, this is my problem in more depth:
>
> I am soo frustrated, I do not understand why I am getting the error that I
> am. In recent events however, I just added a tekram Ultra II controller,
> thinking that maybe since I wasn't talking in LVD/SE mode that I was
> shortening my experience.
>
> So now the Exabyte changer is /dev/sg4 and the Tape drive is /dev/sg5.
> Im running kernel 2.4.0 with the amanda 2.4.2 and mtx 1.2.10.
> Based on your suggestions, i made the tapedevice nst1 and the changer
> /dev/sg4 in my amanda.conf file.

stop, you only have one tape in your system, correct? then you have to
use /dev/nst0 as your tapedevice, not /dev/nst1. The tapedevice-numbers
are completly independend from the scsi-id's or the id's from the
generic devices.
A first test is to check if you can access your tapedevice with tar or
mt
when you point it to /dev/nst0.

> Using the chg-zd-mtx script with the above, I get this message:
> amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
> changer: "/usr/amanda/libexec/chg-zd-mtx:
> /usr/adm/amanda/changer-status-clean: No such file or directory"

i for my self don't know much about the changer stuff, but i think
this is the standard location for the status-files for the changer.
just create the directory /usr/adm/amanda and make your dumpuser
the owner, so he can read/write to it.
And beware not to run amchek as root, cause your dumpuser won't be
able to access the resulting statusfiles in this directroy correctly
anymore, as they get created with the ownership of the user running
the amanda-programs.

> This message pisses me off because no where have I specified
> /usr/adm/amanda/changer-status-clean. Was it something I missed while
> compiling amanda?

Again i think this is defined somewhere in amanda.conf or in the conf
file for the chg-zd-mtx program.
if you need more help with the changer-stuff please ask the list.
but first make shure you have the correct devices to acess your
tape/changer.
have a nice day
Christoph